!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Tuesday, July 03, 2007
This is sadness.
Below is a post from my blog. I thought I'd share it here at Emerging Women since it really effects women worldwide. I encourage you to view the documentary that I've linked to in the post too.

My prayers are with women all over the world who don't enjoy the amazing freedom that we have.

Heather.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


What's wrong with a court, with the world, when a 14 year old girl is sentenced to 60 lashes for "adultery" and "illegally staying together in a private place without being related", and the man in question is acquitted due to lack of evidence?

Everything.

The story is here if you can stomach it.

I was watching an incredible documentary last night on SBS - Chahinaz: What Rights For Women? [the entire program can be viewed online] It highlighted the laws and customs worldwide that make it difficult for women to be seen as equal in the eyes of men. In fact, in a conversation she had in her own country (Algeria), a male university student said that he basically agreed (with the equality of women), but added that would want his own wife "at home looking after my children rather than running a building site." Even though he agreed that women are equal in concept, he could never translate it into his own life. That says a lot.

I'm certainly no militant womens libber. My husband is the primary wage-earner in my family. I work part time, but I am the primary care-giver to our children and the primary house-cleaner/supermarket-shopper/errand-runner etc. We have a fairly "traditional" model. But conversely, if I found a great job that I loved, that earned enough to keep us, my husband would happily leave his job to take on my current role. If I wanted to own my own property I could. If I want to go on holiday I can. If I want to further my education, the options are there. If I desire to take on another religion or faith, I have every right. If I want to meet with an unrelated male in a "private place", even though my husband would likely not be too pleased, I would not be subject to sixty lashes in a public square. Therein lies the inequality that so desperately needs to be addressed.

God created male and female. Even the bible, in Galatians, written at a time of complete patriarchy, very clearly agrees that there should be no distinction as far as the way we treat one another.

It pains me to see women so clearly oppressed and mistreated. The above is an extreme example, but it shouldn't happen. Ever.

Labels: , , , ,

 
posted by Heather at 1:40 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


9 Comments:


  • At 7/03/2007 09:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    If you get a chance, check out the documentary "Shame." I saw it at the Tribeca Film Festival and I know it was picked up by Showtime and is still running. Mukhtaran Mai was awe inspiring.

     
  • At 7/03/2007 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Sally

    I sometimes wonder what kind of world we live in!

     
  • At 7/04/2007 05:30:00 AM, Blogger lisa

    And I know of similar situations in the U.S. where, for instance, the young girl is made to confress her sins while the adult married male in ministry (who started the relationship) is "protected" by leadership. No physical lashes, but brutal scars on her soul nonetheless.

    Hester Prine lives on.

     
  • At 7/04/2007 09:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    really made me think thanks :)

     
  • At 7/05/2007 08:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    If you haven't seen Theo Van Gogh's "Submission" I encourage you to watch it. Get at YouTube. Mr. Van Gogh (Vincest's great gandson) was murdered by extremist over the making of this short film. It is beautifully done. Also, there was a 12 yr old girl that just died in Egypt from female circumcision. This is just evil.

     
  • At 7/05/2007 12:34:00 PM, Blogger John Lynch

    Culture is so hard to change! I pray that God leads and empowers us to cultivate the soil of our hearts and world so Christ's life-giving kingdom culture can take the place of this brokenness.

     
  • At 7/05/2007 05:07:00 PM, Blogger Lydia

    I've been chewing on this, Heather. And I don't know what to say. It's such a big problem that I don't even know where to begin.

     
  • At 7/05/2007 07:52:00 PM, Blogger Heather

    Thank you, Tara, I watched "Submission". Very powerful. I would love to watch "Shame" too, but I don't have showtime. I'll have to see if I can find it on DVD.

    Thank you all for your comments. I think the best thing we can do at the moment is pray for these women.

     
  • At 7/05/2007 09:51:00 PM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    A good book that is encouraging is Kabul Beauty School. It's about a woman's journey empowering women to run their own beauty businesses in Afghanistan -- one of the few vocations that both allows women to make their own money AND meet alone with other women without the intrusion of men.