!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Monday, February 26, 2007
Dialog with Peter Rollins- Author of "How (Not) to Speak of God"
Hi Gals! I wanted to share some exciting information. A while back I mentioned that Peter Rollins would be spending some time with our community. He is the author of our March book "How (Not) to Speak of God". He spent time at our church yesterday, graciously ALL DAY (I'm sure he's tired). Last night our staff had dinner with him. We had a great discussion about "emerging thoughts", ideas about how to move the "thought" to practice, and talked about what his community does, and what we are doing as a community.

He is the founder of Ikon, a community that meets in a pub and incorporates art, music, philosophy etc. into their gatherings. Peter has a B.A. in Scholastic philosophy, an M.A. is political theory and criticism, and a Ph.D. in postmodern theory. His book is thought provoking and he is a really nice guy. I would really encourage reading this book. It is not a very long book, 75 pages are the "meat" and the last section describes 10 different services that Ikon has done.

I mentioned to Peter that we were reading his book for our March discussion, and asked if he would be available or willing to participate in our discussion. He said he would be more than happy to dialog about the book with us. I think thats a great opportunity for us. I told him we usually begin around the 15th of the month, but would let him know for sure when it begins.

So, again....I really encourage reading the book. I think it will be a great discussion, and it's wonderful that Peter is willing to join us in that. I hope you join in.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Anonymous at 8:51 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


8 Comments:


  • At 2/26/2007 09:36:00 AM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    Michele that's awesome! Thank you so much for making that connection for everyone here! You are the woman!

     
  • At 2/26/2007 01:25:00 PM, Blogger Miz Melly

    Nice one, Michele!

    Thank you!

     
  • At 2/26/2007 01:27:00 PM, Blogger Amy

    Wow, how exciting! Thanks so much, Michele. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the day as a whole!

     
  • At 2/26/2007 01:56:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I am glad you are excited!

    Amy,
    Unfortunately, I missed a lot of the discussion, other than dinner. I had to help in our nursery during the service, and offered the childcare for the book discussion in the afternoon. The fun of being the "childcare person". It was videoed and recorded yesterday. If it gets put up on our web site soon, I will post a link, in case anyone wants to download it. I certainly will.

    I was glad to get to visit last night. I am hoping to connect with him again this week, but I don't know if that will work out. If not, I know that our discussion here should be good.

     
  • At 2/27/2007 12:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    What a great book! I am half way through it you all will have a great time talking about it.

     
  • At 2/27/2007 01:35:00 PM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    Michele, sorry you missed so much of the Pete Rollins day. It's sad that you didn't get to go to the main talks and be part of that...hope you got to catch up with Pete some more later.

     
  • At 2/27/2007 04:31:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Thanks Jemila...I hope so too. M

     
  • At 2/27/2007 04:32:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    This comment has been removed by the author.