!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Thursday, November 30, 2006
Rick Warren
Pastor Defends Invitation to Obama - AOL News

I saw this on AOL news this morning. News I don't know much about Rick Warren. Obviously, I know who he is, and the famous book. I give him credit for standing next to his invitation. I read some of the comments in response to this. Many of them I agreed with...but of course there were the typical comments like "Democrats can't be Christian's". After a couple of those comments, I decided it was to early for my blood pressure to rise that much. It seems that he is working for unity in this case. It is unfortunate that many Christians are causing problems in this area. The ironic part for me, is when these Christians get into fight mode, all it does is promote the cause they were fighting, even more. I don't get why they don't see that. Anyway, my two cents.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Anonymous at 8:45 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


8 Comments:


  • At 11/30/2006 09:36:00 AM, Blogger Lydia

    Just skimmed the article.

    Rick's behaviour impresses me. It's easy to fight with those who disagree with us. It's much more difficult to try to find a way to work together.

     
  • At 11/30/2006 11:24:00 AM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    Normally I am not a huge fan of Rick Warren on account of his support for a federal marriage amendment and (though this is not his fault,) the cult-status of his book, The Purpose Driven Life. But in this case I really have alot of respect for the guy's integrity and heart for working together on common-ground. I'm sorry his being lambasted for doing a really good thing.

     
  • At 11/30/2006 11:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Apologies in advance for feeling kind of feisty today - so be warned if you choose to read on...

    I'm glad Rick Warren's doing something positive for a change - it's about time! I swear, we visited a slew of churches a few years back and it seemed like every single one was just embarking on the "40 Bays of Porpoise" This almost caused me to vomit more than once, and then complain to my wife afterwards that it was a convenient way for the pastor to cop out and have at least 5 weeks of guaranteed, packaged sermon material.

    But ask me how I really feel about mega-marketed pseudoconservative boomer Chistian media...

    Bottom line, yes, breaking down barriers is always good, no matter which "side" takes the initiative.

     
  • At 11/30/2006 03:47:00 PM, Blogger Amy

    Medium Guy...that cracks me up! :)

    I think it's terrific of Warren to include Obama, a voice outside conservative evangelicalism. We (since I'm coming from the inside) tend to create ministries, conferences, etc just for us and then don't even speak a language that's meaningful within the world we reside.

    Now, my prayer is that those attending will listen to that voice.

     
  • At 11/30/2006 06:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey Amy,
    We aim to please...and sometimes hit the mark. Thanks for listening.

     
  • At 11/30/2006 09:38:00 PM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    Coffee sounds yummy. Is it Fair Trade? I really wish starbucks used fair trade for their in-house drinks.

     
  • At 11/30/2006 09:47:00 PM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    Hey the coffee comment was supposed to go under a different thread -- woops! Sorry! But hey, it would be awesome if Rick Warren's church included democrats and republicans in their conventions AND served fair trade coffee! In such an event, I just might start feeling a little high from a slight overdose of optimism!

     
  • At 11/30/2006 10:53:00 PM, Blogger Amy

    Yes, Jemila. That would be a great mix!

    (No fair trade on the coffee, but all proceeds go to the Children's Dept).