!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Sunday, August 20, 2006
role model
So after a few days taking my daughter to hang out with Grandma and Grandpa in upper Michigan, I’m back to civilization (read back on the internet). I’ve been encouraged to read about your role models. I echo what’s already been said about how the women here are encouragement and role models. Just knowing that there are other women out there asking the same questions and wanting to discover ways to serve God is a huge blessing.

To add to the list, I want to add a woman whose works I’ve come to admire just this past year. I’m sure some of you have heard of Phyllis Tickle . She is most well known for her books The Divine Hours which introduced fixed hour prayer to our modern faith practices. I first encountered her at the Emergent convention in Nashville in 2005. She was the main speaker or “blesser” at our general gatherings. What I discovered was that she was an amazing storyteller who wove together scripture and application in astounding ways. She also gave a mindblowing talk regarding the history of religion in America and the directions it is heading. I have the cd and have listened to it a few times since. Her grasp of history and her ability to see trends and explain them spoke to the literature and history major part of me.

Since then I’ve read a few of her books and have come to greatly respect and appreciate her voice. Her autobiographical works that weave in commentary on the spiritual state of America are brilliant and touching at the same time. She spent a good number of years as the religion editor for Publishers Weekly and so has a remarkable grasp of the state of religion in our age as well as a great vocabulary. Her journey of faith and her call as an intellectual woman resonated with me and encouraged me to not be afraid to use my voice and intellect for God.

I highly recommend encountering her works. My favorite is The Shaping of a Life .

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 4:43 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


2 Comments:


  • At 8/21/2006 09:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Good post.
    I find that my role models are often people my age or younger who have been my colleagues. I'm still looking for women who fill that role.

     
  • At 8/22/2006 08:36:00 AM, Blogger Linea

    I love The Divine Hours by Tickle. I have used them over the past year and find that they provide me with a much needed rythmn to my devotional life. Thanks for the encouragement to read some of her other books.