!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Friday, August 11, 2006
My Role Models
I thought I'd answer Julie's question in a new post rather than a comment as it may get a little lengthy...

I have three female role models:

- Sarah Dylan Breuer, a woman I originally met at The Ooze message boards 4-5 years ago. You can read her blog here, but if you really want to get a feel for why I admire her so much go straight to this Ooze article she wrote in '04 that retells the parable of the shepherd who left 99 sheep to look for the one that was lost.

Sarah is the kindest person I've ever met. She's also one of the most determined. When I first met her I really admired the way she was able to strongly disagree with someone without alienating them. When people took offense at her beliefs she never seemed to take it personally - even if they attacked or ridiculed her. Which is something I'm still trying to learn how to do.

- My mom, Tammy. From homebirthing and homeschooling to returning to college with three young kids underfoot, learning to play the bass guitar from a self-described satanist (who later became a christian because of my parents' unconditional friendship, I think? Or at the least he became much more open to the idea of God) to encouraging her husband to become a "stay-at-home dad" when us kids grew a little older while the family was living in a community that really didn't understand that concept, she's never been afraid to dance to the beat of her own drum. Even when no one else could hear the rhythm.

- And not to embarass her, but I like to think of "our" Julie here at EW as one of my role models as well. She's intelligent and gritty and I've never known her to back down in a discussion. Which is a good thing for me be around as I'm the kind of person who quickly backs away when the temperature rises. In this way at least Julie is the yin to my yang. ;)


Labels: ,

 
posted by Lydia at 6:38 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 8/12/2006 09:42:00 AM, Blogger Unknown

    To be honest, this site has become an inspiration to me. It has been wonderful to see that many topics and discussions occur and there seems to be a genuine respect and acceptance for each other. I think many of the women here have great ideas, thoughts, and comments and surely will leave great contributions.
    In my personal life, I have an aunt, Sara Kinder that I have always respected. She has been through the good and the bad. She is honest, but has a way of saying things that make me think. She is a good listener, she has a kind heart. She has a strong faith in God, but was never pushy with her opinions. She has always been sensitive to where I was in my life. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with her, but I always look forward to seeing her and the conversation to be had! She has been great!

     
  • At 8/12/2006 01:32:00 PM, Blogger Tiffanie Lloyd

    Where I am from there are few women like me; seldom who speak out, less that are as “liberal” and close to none who can relate to my life. Being introduced to all of you has been such a blessing for me. Although I am still (and will always be) figuring things out, and like Michele, I appreciate the opportunity to do so within a community of intelligent women who not only share in some of the same struggles and ideas, but who are open to discussion and voicing their opinions. I can only hope that I am contributing as much as I am receiving. Thank you.

    In the domestic realm, I admire a friend of mine; the young adult pastor’s wife at my church. Her name is LeAnn Bird and she has four children. She almost always has it all together, and when she doesn’t, I admire her ability to remain calm and trust the Lord.

    There has been another female who left a tremendous impact on me. Last year I listened to guest speaker Sarah Kay Ndjerareou (author of Pieces of Glass). The ways she spoke about how she experienced God in her life was so inspiring to me and lead me to really embrace the ways I relate to God in my own life.

    And then there's my mom. I would not be who I am today without her; always encouraging me to succeed, to speak out and to be confidant. It is also my mom who teaches me a lot about writing; and has been a devoted family editor for many years.

     
  • At 8/20/2006 04:03:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    Hey Lydia... thanks for your words of encouragement. I echo your thoughts about Dylan - she is a great one to look up to.