!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Upcoming at Emerging Women
So we have passed the holidays and from what I have heard many of us are still in recovery mode. I know things have been slow around here recently as life has taken priority over cyberdiscussions, but I hope that we can gain momentum and jump back into more conversations soon. As the last year drew to an end some of you gave your opinions on things you would like to see here at Emerging Women which I want to mention today.

Gatherings

I hope that the small gatherings can continue around the country to help women connect with each other. This is up to you guys to instigate and so far they have been great successes.

The Northwest Emerging Women have their Convergence gathering in February which I highly recommend anyone to attend (I had an amazing time last year). Other gathering are still in the works but no concrete plans are set as of yet.

Interviews

But one suggestion that I want to institute as soon as possible is that of hearing the stories of Emerging Women from around the world. The idea would be to collect interviews from women we admire who are out there making a difference. I'm not talking just about "famous" women, but any women we can learn from and by inspired by. I am envisioning simple email interviews that will be posted here in multiple installments. And while I think it would be great to hear stories from all sorts of women, I would like to limit it (at first at least) to women who are connected in some way (however small) to the emerging church. We so rarely get to hear the stories of these women and I would love to bring the presence of women in this conversation into greater focus.

So what I am asking from you all here are three things -
1. Who would you like to hear from? Name whoever you want.
2. What sort of basic questions would you like asked of these women?
3. And are you willing to contact the people you know and conduct the interview? (we can work out details later)

I am excited about this and can't wait to start hearing the stories of these women.


Book Discussions

And I know we are a bit behind in announcing the upcoming selections for our Tuesday Book Club discussion, but here is the list for the next few months. We have chosen somewhat lighter fare from a diversity of perspectives and all selections are available at the Emerging Women Resource Store. Once again we are looking for volunteers to lead select weeks of the discussions. If you are interested, leave a comment or email emergingwomen@gmail.com. I look forward to exploring these books with you all here.

February - Forever and Ever, Amen: Becoming a Nun in the Sixties by Sister Karol Jackowski

March - A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

April - The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Julie at 1:10 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


6 Comments:


  • At 1/17/2008 09:39:00 PM, Blogger Lydia

    1. Who would you like to hear from?

    Sarah Dylan Breuer (although I don't know if she thinks of herself as "emerging")- her website: http://www.sarahlaughed.net/

    Becky Garrison

    Lisa Burke (Spencer Burke's wife)

    Annegogh and sarahtaylor (Ooze posters)

    2. What sort of basic questions would you like asked of these women?

    I don't really know how to answer this yet, although I do know that I'd want to see open-ended questions that left room for good stories.

    Hopefully someone else here can think of some good questions (although I'll keep working on it :) )


    3. And are you willing to contact the people you know and conduct the interview?

    If I can have some help coming up with good questions, absolutely. :)

     
  • At 1/22/2008 12:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    How do I find out what gatherings are or are not taking place in my area?

     
  • At 1/23/2008 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    Dana - at the moment everything I know of is listed in the sidebar.

    Lydia - thanks for the great recommendations!

     
  • At 1/31/2008 12:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Lydia,

    I'm honored that you suggested me for an interview!

    And I do consider myself "emerging." :)

     
  • At 1/31/2008 11:37:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    Sarah - I sent you an email about this... let me know if you got it.

     
  • At 2/04/2008 12:31:00 PM, Blogger Lydia

    No problem, Sarah. I had no idea that you even read this blog! :)