!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Jesus Here Among Us
Emerging Women"Filled with compassion, he reached out his hand..." Mark 1:41

Tonight I saw perhaps one of the most Christ-like things I have ever encountered. At a Community Justice Board (a diversion program in our community to help young people who have made a mistake get back on track), I saw a one of the board members interact with a young man who was really struggling to comply with the program (non-compliance = failure and the child is returned to the court system to follow the normal track). As he walked away, I saw her look at him, obviously filled with compassion.

I've heard my husband speak on this passage in such a way that I could barely imagine how powerful and overwhelming was the compassion that Jesus felt toward people, but tonight I saw it with my own eyes. For the moment in time that I watched this leader pull herself together (she was fighting back the tears) so she could do her job, I saw Jesus standing there--eyes filling up wtih tears, longing to heal, wanting to bring the kingdom...it was powerful.

And, girls, it was a woman, a mother, a sister, a beautiful person who so embodied God's love in that moment that I was in awe.

In another time and place I would have simply written this off as no more than a good deed, but unfortunately without the right list of propositional truths it was meaningless. How sad and ironic that we have settled for a cheaper version of the truth--faith based on propositions instead of a dynamic living presence of a holy God who does actually walk among us.

Labels:

 
posted by Anonymous at 12:44 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 9/20/2006 11:58:00 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Syl,
    I think it is a beautiful thing, when we experience something, almost indescribable. I agree, when I put my focus on just being more loving, compassionate, and understanding, Jesus seems to "appear" in ways I am sure I missed so many times. I think it's unfortunate, when we get stuck in the "bullet points" of what Jesus is. I have had too many moments lately, where the "bullet points" are being defended, and yet, I just don't sense the presence of Jesus. Jesus isn't a system, or an outline to live, He is an experience and a way of life. He should dwell within us, and our "ways" should reflect Him. I am sure you Saw Jesus within that moment.

     
  • At 9/20/2006 01:48:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    thanks so much for sharing this!

     
  • At 9/22/2006 01:26:00 AM, Blogger Charlotte Wyncoop

    COOOL!