!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Jesus Here Among Us
Emerging Women"Filled with compassion, he reached out his hand..." Mark 1:41

Tonight I saw perhaps one of the most Christ-like things I have ever encountered. At a Community Justice Board (a diversion program in our community to help young people who have made a mistake get back on track), I saw a one of the board members interact with a young man who was really struggling to comply with the program (non-compliance = failure and the child is returned to the court system to follow the normal track). As he walked away, I saw her look at him, obviously filled with compassion.

I've heard my husband speak on this passage in such a way that I could barely imagine how powerful and overwhelming was the compassion that Jesus felt toward people, but tonight I saw it with my own eyes. For the moment in time that I watched this leader pull herself together (she was fighting back the tears) so she could do her job, I saw Jesus standing there--eyes filling up wtih tears, longing to heal, wanting to bring the kingdom...it was powerful.

And, girls, it was a woman, a mother, a sister, a beautiful person who so embodied God's love in that moment that I was in awe.

In another time and place I would have simply written this off as no more than a good deed, but unfortunately without the right list of propositional truths it was meaningless. How sad and ironic that we have settled for a cheaper version of the truth--faith based on propositions instead of a dynamic living presence of a holy God who does actually walk among us.

Labels:

 
posted by sylvia skinner at 12:44 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


4 Comments:


  • At 9/20/2006 11:58:00 AM, Blogger Michele L

    Syl,
    I think it is a beautiful thing, when we experience something, almost indescribable. I agree, when I put my focus on just being more loving, compassionate, and understanding, Jesus seems to "appear" in ways I am sure I missed so many times. I think it's unfortunate, when we get stuck in the "bullet points" of what Jesus is. I have had too many moments lately, where the "bullet points" are being defended, and yet, I just don't sense the presence of Jesus. Jesus isn't a system, or an outline to live, He is an experience and a way of life. He should dwell within us, and our "ways" should reflect Him. I am sure you Saw Jesus within that moment.

     
  • At 9/20/2006 01:48:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    thanks so much for sharing this!

     
  • At 9/20/2006 03:50:00 PM, Blogger From the Margins

    I agree with the two posts above! What can one say when one is able to see the Indescribable ... the "I Saw Jesus" moments of life.

    Thanks, Sylvia. You've shed some LIGHT into my journey.

     
  • At 9/22/2006 01:26:00 AM, Blogger Charlotte Wyncoop

    COOOL!

     

Links to this post:

Create a Link