!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Friday, September 01, 2006
crummy church signs
So I was amusing myself at Crummy Church Signs and getting more and more appalled at the stuff churchs put out to show the world who they are. One of the signs read -
"Sunday Service 11:00
Women should remain silent in church.
Air conditioned"
The sign was from Canada, and I've seen similar billboards in missouri. As absurd as the pronouncement and air conditioning advertisement are mixed together, I know this represents the sentiment of many churches out there.

What is your reaction to this? How would you respond to such a church? How do you think the world responds to this? Can opinions like this be accepted or is a church putting something like this on a sign really really hurting the church? Thoughts...?

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Julie at 12:49 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


4 Comments:


  • At 9/01/2006 09:14:00 AM, Blogger kpjara

    Only if it's an all male church...and if there's a nursery...I doubt it's all male.

    It frankly makes me sick and reminds me of how I became dechurched the first few times.

    Why is it the most vocal are also the least educated?

     
  • At 9/01/2006 09:50:00 AM, Blogger Unknown

    I definately don't think it speaks well of what Christ represents. I just don't get it sometimes. My perspective is, also, that these appear ignorant, old school, and not a place that would appeal to me. I guess it depends on where you live and what your thinking is. I am sure some people see nothing wrong with signs such as these. I would think however, that in our present day, that would turn off most people, especially women. But you never know, which is why it is sad.
    I went to the site and browsed a few others, absolutely amazing what we reduce "being a Christain" or "attending church", whatever, down to.

     
  • At 9/01/2006 10:33:00 AM, Blogger Kate

    There is a church around the corner from me that has a new "crummy church sign" up every week. Generally, they include Bible verse references. I always wonder what people who know nothing about church or the Bible make of "Mark 9:22" or "Genesis 1:9."

     
  • At 9/07/2006 04:20:00 PM, Blogger Sue Densmore

    One man's "thought provoking" is another woman's "Oy, vey!"

    There are plenty of women who think that's what the Bible says.