!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Saturday, June 17, 2006
Jesus and weddings
Tonight I had the opportunity to attend yet another wedding...I get to go to lots of these. I do so love to go! It's always a really good cheap date and I love to see my husband in a suit! Right before we left (when he off with the couple to sign the license) I was sitting alone at our table and watching people dancing. Since we only know the bride and groom (which is often the case) I got to have a few moments by myself to just watch and enjoy. It's funny how a single moment can seemingly pass by in slow motion and you just know that you have found yourself on holy ground. That's exactly how I felt. Watching all of those people dancing and smiling and laughing--enjoying that very same moment--I suddenly knew that what I was oberving was more deeply spiritual than most of the moments I experience at church on Sunday mornings. How interesting that Jesus picked a wedding as the backdrop for the beginning of his ministry. At the moment when it seemed that the party would be winding down, he got it going again. I wonder if he was sitting alone at a table, like me, just enjoying those around him lost in the moment of the celebration of love. There's always so much love at a wedding! I think that's one of the ways we can know for sure that God's presence is filling all the spaces around us--when there is love in the air! And one other thing...I've come to the conclusion that Baptists don't know anything about dancing (sorry, but I can say that since I've pretty much been one my whole life)--it's the greatest spritiual expression there is. I hope we can all find the rythm of the dance and then dance like we've never danced before!
 
posted by sylvia skinner at 2:00 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


2 Comments:


  • At 6/17/2006 07:38:00 PM, Blogger From the Margins

    Loved the description of your experience of weddings! I bet Jesus had a few moments like yours! He seemed to be a 'life appreciator!'

    Ever wonder when 'Christiandom' brought weddings (and funerals) INTO the church? They were secular events for most of history. For our Western, American culture it seems so 'normal.'

    It's one of my teaser moments when I hear my peers ranting and raving about wanting to get back to the church of "Acts" and I insert that, at the very least, weddings and funerals would have to go! :-)

     
  • At 6/19/2006 07:59:00 PM, Blogger wilsford

    nice job capturing the moment.

     

Links to this post:

Create a Link