!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Sunday, January 28, 2007
Hope in Redemptive Trends
In reading SMK's The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, I learned imensly about our faith and its history regarding women, how my emotional and self esteem problems are rooted in patriarchy, and how I truely believe that this book is part of the redemtive history Christ put into place. I was very enlightened.

I began reading the passages over and over in the bible which address women in the church. I came upon an essay written by NT Wright, (found on Scot McNights blog, which I think most of you frequent).

http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Women_Service_Church.htm

I read this and became very angry. In light of cultural contexts, Wright shows that women were given leadership roles in the early church. In fact, in Romans 16, all historical evidence points to the fact that the apostle Junias in verse 7 was actually a female, Junia. There was a large debate in which Junia was declared male, Junias. Again, I am angry.

However, throughout the angry feelings I somehow remember that God has worked through history. I couldn't help but think, even though the Feminie Devine has been surpressed and women's abilities have been shut out of the church, God has still worked through this world. I still found hope in Jesus Christ through the patriarcy of this world. The hope I hold onto is a redemptive hope. That God did not intend for this world to treat women the way we are treated and it is being redeemed. I think this is the first step in welcoming the Feminie Devine back into our lives.

I'd like to know what you all think about Wright's essay as well as redemptive trends.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Meg at 7:39 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


7 Comments:


  • At 1/29/2007 06:22:00 AM, Blogger Helen

    I haven't read Wright's essay but I have read parts at least of this:

    Women in the heart of God

    which supports women in equal ministry roles to men and which gives a detailed Biblical defense of that position.

    The author is a conservative Christian who accepted the complementarian (men lead, women don't) position until he studied the Bible carefully for himself.

    (I think having growing daughters also influenced him because he was going to be answerable to them for his views on women. I say that because I think I remember reading that this was dedicated to one of them)

     
  • At 1/29/2007 09:41:00 AM, Blogger Shawna Atteberry

    Make sure you check out N. T. Wright's website too. There's a lot of good articles on there.

    I also have a series that shows the leadership roles that women held in the Bible: Career Woman of the Bible.

    Chrisitans for Biblical Equality also have a lot biblical resources on women in ministry.

     
  • At 1/29/2007 11:25:00 AM, Blogger Lydia

    I like reading about the cultural norms in Jesus' time.

    Can you imagine what it would be like for someone to read a book or magazine printed in 2007 a few thousand years from now without knowing much - if anything - about the culture it came from?

    If they read one of those sex 'n fashion magazines like Cosmo would they think all women are young, beautiful, and obsessed with embarassing sex stories?

    If they read Hemant Mehta's "I Sold My Soul on eBay" would they believe that an atheist holding a bidding war to determine which church he'd visit was a common cultural practice?

    Would they read one of those annual books that are written to explain why liberals (or conservatives) are eeeevil and take it at face value?

    Fascinating stuff.

     
  • At 1/29/2007 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    I read this article some time last year, so I need to find time to reread it before I comment much. But this is post from my blog that was the result of reading the Wright article.

    I think the historical view of the traditions that have denied women a voice in the church is something that needs to be discussed more often. Without that perspective its easy to think that our sexist ways are the way things have always been and should always be. It's hard to have hope if that is the case.

     
  • At 1/29/2007 03:57:00 PM, Blogger Deb

    Julie
    I understand when you say it is hard to have hope.

    I would echo the comment in a later post about seeking out mentors! One of my mentors is a female rector in the Episcopal church where she find she is neither fish nor fowl. The conservatives hold her as suspect because she is a woman. The liberals want a certain verbiage from her because she is a woman. She has walked a gentle line between being a docile "whatever you want me to say" and a defiant "let me give it to you with both guns" preacher. She is a good sounding board for me because she doesn't pull her punches, but she also is encouraging me to seek out those places I can and will serve God that a man will never "boldly go".

    By having this support and "sieve" for my own feelings, I am learning when to get concerned about the limitations placed on me (is it because I am still a student? or is it because I have ovaries??)
    And I am also learning when to let it go as so much... ahem... FERTILIZER!

    When it is the latter, remember it helps you to "bloom where you are planted" - - and God will bring His Kingdom to pass. We are willing participants in seeing that vision come forward. Those who deny our participation will, in the end, find that they gain only His chastisement...

    I am walking and rocking -

    Deb

     
  • At 1/29/2007 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    Yeah Deb. Preach it.

     
  • At 2/13/2007 01:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    If you love Jesus, you will follow God's law? You will not add or take away from scripture to make it fit your selfish desires? Where in scripture is there Feminine Devine? What are you saying? There's the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It is not about you. It is about Jesus dying on the cross for atonement of our sins.