!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Sunday, September 09, 2007
Want to Help Out?
Hi all -
Sorry for no weekly round-up this week. I had my hand in a splint for most of the week with a sprained finger and am just now typing somewhat normally again. But I wanted to ask for volunteers to help out with a few Emerging Women activities. There are three areas that we are looking for people to get involved-

Tuesday Book Club
Since our book discussion will now take place once a week, we will be able to cover a wider variety of topics. We would like for more people to lend their voice to hosting different parts of the discussion. So if you are reading one of our upcoming book selections (see sidebar) and have a topic that you would really like to focus on, we would love to have you host a week of the discussion. It would require reading the books a bit early, choosing a topic, and choosing which week you would like to take. It would also be nice to hear from more voices and perspectives as we approach each book.


Local Gatherings
Would you like to get to know other Emerging Women in your area? We are looking for women across the country to volunteer to host one time get togethers for Emerging Women. A meal together, a discussion evening, or a special event - anything goes. We would advertise it on the blog and hope that it could be a way for women with similar questions to get to know each other. Be it three or twenty people gathering, it can be a easy way to connect. It could be as simple as reserving a table at the local pizza place, but it takes someone organizing it to help make it happen. (not that anyone needs "permission" to do an Emerging Women event, we just want to offer what resources we have to help start conversations).


Regional Gatherings
We are looking for a place(s) to host upcoming Emerging Women gatherings. If you are interested in helping coordinate a regional event in your area please let us know. There are tentative plans for a few underway, but nothing concrete yet. Being a coordinator would involve finding meeting space, planning much of the event, and being the on-site detail person. Each Emerging Women event looks very different, so we are looking for people willing to put their own creative energy into this event. It would be great to provide gathering opportunities for more women and we would like to move forward to making new plans. So if you think you may be interested in finding out more please let us know.


Having opportunities to connect and get to know each other is a blessing for many of us. And I know that there are a lot of women out there who are struggling with questions that many of us have struggled with, but who don't have anyone to talk to. These are just a few ways we can connect and support each other. So if you are interested in helping out in these ways (or others), please email us at emergingwomen@gmail.com.

Thanks -
Julie Clawson

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 2:03 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


8 Comments:


  • At 9/09/2007 03:39:00 PM, Blogger One Voice of Many

    I haven't participated with any of the book discussions. I did find the September book in my local library and have put it on hold.
    I'd be willing to help with the discussion on that one when it starts. It looks like it will be an interesting book.

    Michelle

     
  • At 9/09/2007 08:53:00 PM, Blogger Patti

    I live in Central NY and in North Central FL. I would be happy to host gatherings in either area. I don't know very few women who are interested in the same things I am. How would we proceed getting the gatherings started?

     
  • At 9/09/2007 09:03:00 PM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    I would be interested in getting something East Coast going. I'm more of a big picture person than a details person, but if someone gives me a to-do list and resources and I can help make a local thing happen in the Philly-South Jersey Area.

     
  • At 9/10/2007 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Betsy Whaley

    Julie,
    I'd be willing to host a local or regional event. I'm 60 miles NE of Indianapolis and have access to meeting space for a larger event or would be glad to host something in my home for a local gathering. I'd also be willing to help with any midwest regional gathering. Just let me know what you need. I have the book for September but have not yet started reading it. I could probably help later in the month with the discussion or with the book for October.

     
  • At 9/10/2007 03:36:00 PM, Blogger Happy

    Julie, I'd love to help out with one or more of the book discussions in December. (are we reading the new edition that comes out this fall or the old one?)

    I'd also be willing to organize something informal for the northern suburbs of Chicago/southern Wisconsin women - maybe a night out at a coffeehouse in Lake Geneva or something like that?

     
  • At 9/10/2007 10:56:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    wow - thanks for the quick response. I'll be emailing those who responded here.

    Soldiermom - I don't think I have your email to reply to you. Could you email me at emergingwomen@gmail.com

     
  • At 9/11/2007 01:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    julie, i can organize something informal in the denver area no problem, would love to. my google account is through the refuge so i don't post an email link but best email is kathy@therefugeonline.org. if some of you are in denver area and read this are interested, too. email me and we can pool some networks and get together.

     
  • At 9/14/2007 04:48:00 AM, Blogger Meg

    Jemila
    I live in State College, PA, and would love to help you plan something in the Philly area! I can do the details if you can do the big picture stuff!