!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Emerging Women .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
East Coast Gathering
Hi everyone. So I’ve returned home to cold wet Chicago after a wonderful few days at the beach for the Emerging Women East Coast Gathering. Personally I thought that the gathering was an amazing time of sharing stories, digging into scripture, discussing ideas, and making wonderful new friends.

One of the most amazing parts of the event was the diversity of voices we heard from (age, ethnicity, religious tradition…). I was blessed by that diversity and grew in my understanding of how others perceive faith. That diversity also means that we all took away different things from this experience. So I asked the women there if they wanted to post their reflections of the event here. So hopefully over the next week we will be treated to perspectives and stories about what those women learned and how they grew. (and even some pictures)

Also there are many resources that were given at the gathering that we would like to post here so as to have them all in one place. I hope some of the women will post the notes from their presentations as well as the recommended readings and action steps. I will post what I know and do my best to make the sidebar here a more detailed resource for women. I’ll start with posts below about writing resources and a discussion on the emerging church. Hopefully things won’t get too overwhelming, but we want to be able to share with everyone what we encountered at the gathering.

Much thanks, many blessings, and enjoy!

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 2:11 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


13 Comments:


  • At 10/04/2006 02:18:00 PM, Blogger Lydia

    Sounds great, Julie. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts. :)

     
  • At 10/04/2006 02:44:00 PM, Blogger Janice

    I would LOVE to get notes or outlines or meandering thoughts that the tables hosts used for their groups as the topics were so interesting and I had trouble choosing which table-groups to attend. So if any of you are reading and can share the thoughts you brought (which you may or may not have followed) I'd greatly appreciate your posting them!

    And just a big general thanks to EVERYONE who attended - speakers and participants alike, it was a blessing!

     
  • At 10/04/2006 10:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Thanks Julie for getting it all together with the other planners.

     
  • At 10/04/2006 11:02:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I am envious, please share. I would love to attend eventually!

     
  • At 10/05/2006 01:40:00 PM, Blogger Sarah Notton

    I know a lot of you would love to attend, but making arrangements can be tough. For the upcoming conferences, please know that "scholarships" and other assistance are available. And we can ride-share, share hotel rooms, and do whatever it takes to make sure that those who need to be there...ARE there.

     
  • At 10/05/2006 02:15:00 PM, Blogger Lydia

    Two questions, Sarah (or anyone who knows):

    1) How would one go about donating to the scholarship fund?

    2) Are husbands allowed to attend (or spouses, for the men who read this blog)future conferences, or is this a girls-only sort of thing?

     
  • At 10/05/2006 02:56:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    I'll answer...
    At least for the Chicago event (I don't know much about the Oregon one) we will have an easy way to donate. Hopefully I can set that up soon, but at least by the time the registration site is up for that it will be available.

    and there is still talk about the men attending. I'm all for it in many ways, but many women don't feel safe enough to open up when men are there. so we will keep you posted...

     
  • At 10/05/2006 09:10:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Thanks Sherri,
    All of those are great things to think about. I have been asked to partner in our children's ministry at my church. We are very early stages with this, but the hope is to envision a whole new curriculum/approach for our children to grow in their faith. I have great hope and faith in wonderful (but I am sure, challenging) times ahead.

     
  • At 10/05/2006 10:11:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    thanks Sherri for sharing those emphasis ideas for children's ministry - I didn't take notes and wished I had!

     
  • At 10/06/2006 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Am new to this site...
    Am also probably a good bit older than most of you... but this "new" theology of the Emerging Church has been rumbling in my brain for many years...

    I've been trying to read as much as I can and visit as many blogs as possible to hear others thoughts - but there's not much out there regarding the rethinking of how we do children's ministry.

    As a Pastor to Children and Families, I am very interested in continued dialogue regarding "Emerging Children."

    Would love to see any notes that might be available!

    ...and would love to attend an East Coast Conference next time one is scheduled!

     
  • At 10/06/2006 03:18:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Hi Valerie,
    Welcome. I think children's ministry is slow coming. There are some things out there, but not a lot. Our church is working on creating for our children as we progress in the "big" church. It is definately a soft spot for me. I have children 5 and 3 yrs. I really want to get out of some of the thought I was raised with. I now am in a position at church where I will be directly involved with the formation of the children's ministry. It's a little overwhelming, but I am hopeful for the future and what I can teach our kids, not just my own. We should just keep the conversation and our ears open.

     
  • At 10/06/2006 03:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Julie -- the article I sent you re: the conference will be on TheOoze Oct. 19. Cool.

     
  • At 10/06/2006 04:59:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    sweet- I thought it was a great piece that brought up some good issues. Thanks for writing that, and I personally look forward to the discussion it sparks!